You are not logged in

OSHA and EPA requirements for Regulated Biohazard/Infectious waste

Last post 05-02-2008, 2:56 PM by Thrudheim. 3 replies.
Sort Posts:
  •  04-29-2008, 3:19 PM 2528

safetyterri is not online. Last active: 11-19-2008, 1:43 PM safetyterri

Top 75 Contributor

Joined on 01-31-2008

Posts 11

• OSHA and EPA requirements for Regulated Biohazard/Infectious waste

**UPDATE:  OSHA does not define "quantity" for regulated waste, it just defines what is considered biohazard/infectious waste intheir Bloodborne Pathogen regulation 1910-1030 (b).

EPA and other State agencies will have more guidelines on Regulated Waste and removal.

Does anyone know where I can find the specifics on what constitutes Regulated Waste?  What is considered biohazard/infectious waste?  At what point (weight wise I believe) do you have to call someone to come and remove this waste rather than you disposing of it yourself?  OSHA and EPA requirements.

Thanks much!

•  04-30-2008, 3:41 PM 2536 in reply to 2528

mikecj is not online. Last active: 06-07-2012, 5:13 PM mikecj

Top 10 Contributor

Joined on 08-04-2007

Posts 276

• Re: OSHA and EPA requirements for Regulated Biohazard/Infectious waste

Terri,

Good luck on this one. It should be straight forward but it's not. In my searches, EPA does not address the topic and OSHA never establishes a minimum amount.

I'm under contract with a medical waste company (Stericycle) for two pickups per year at a cost of <$100. I haven't used them in more than year because we do not generate that much material.

Contact your local landfill and see if they will accept it. For minimal quantites, they just might.

MikeCJ

•  05-01-2008, 11:52 AM 2541 in reply to 2536

safetyterri is not online. Last active: 11-19-2008, 1:43 PM safetyterri

Top 75 Contributor

Joined on 01-31-2008

Posts 11

HI...thanks for the info.  I agree...it's very vague!  I thought at some point there was info. that anything over 25# per month is considered "regulated waste" and needed to be picked up???  Does that ring  a bell?

Also, what is regulated waste?  Used:  first aid supplies, medical supplies, clean up supplies....etc?  Correct?

Thanks much!

•  05-02-2008, 2:56 PM 2544 in reply to 2541

Thrudheim is not online. Last active: 09-08-2008, 2:19 PM Thrudheim

Top 100 Contributor

Joined on 05-02-2008

Posts 10

safetyterri:

HI...thanks for the info.  I agree...it's very vague!  I thought at some point there was info. that anything over 25# per month is considered "regulated waste" and needed to be picked up???  Does that ring  a bell?

Also, what is regulated waste?  Used:  first aid supplies, medical supplies, clean up supplies....etc?  Correct?

Thanks much!

check with your states DEP. Here in Jersey I can throw anything out as long as it is not wet saturated to the point of dripping or dry saturated, weight does not ever come into the equation. I also checked with my counties Bureau of Solid Waste asd their regs are based on what the state says, they do not have anything stricter.

mikecj:
    I'm under contract with a medical waste company (Stericycle) for two pickups per year at a cost of <$100. I haven't used them in more than year because we do not generate that much material.

thats the keyword terri, you will most likely have to get yourself a Biowaste permit # so they can pick it up, similar to a HazWaste ID#. If you are not a medical waste generator you will most likely not need it...if you are is most likely determined by your states regs...if you are using them for bloodborne cleanup removal you may be able to piggyback on their generator # which is how some companies out here I have dealt with do it.

safetyterri:
    Also, what is regulated waste?  Used:  first aid supplies, medical supplies, clean up supplies....etc?

Regulated medical waste is your biohazardous waste, infectious medical waste, anything contaminated by blood, body fluids or other PIM's.

Use of this site constitutes your agreement to the terms and condition specified in the Safety.BLR.com Forum Agreement