You are not logged in

Company Safety Courses Question

Last post 10-17-2013, 1:18 AM by charlieelectra. 3 replies.
Sort Posts:
  •  02-28-2013, 12:32 PM 4339

zcalvert is not online. Last active: 02-28-2013, 12:57 PM zcalvert

Not Ranked

Joined on 02-28-2013

Posts 1

• Company Safety Courses Question

Howdy,

I am located in West Texas. Most of ya'll know that we are in a pretty good oil boom over here. I am currently a truck inspector for my in-laws small Oilfield transport company. For the last year or two their insurance has required them to have some sort of safety courses taught to the service employees of the company. We have been paying someone from Total Safety in Odessa, TX to do these little classes. They are not certification courses. They seem to be more of a "Let's go over this subject this week." and he reads from a little pamphlet, shows a video, and then gives a test in the back of the pamphlet and is done. Most of the time, they have nothing to do with what we do as a service company i.e. Confined Space, excavation, scaffolding, etc.

Anyways, on to my question.

To do such a simple thing, show a video and give a test, would I have to have any sort of safety certifications myself? I have my OSHA 10, H2S safety, Safeland, AED/CPR, Bloodborne Pathogens, Crane and Rigging, and Forklift Certs.

Pretty much what it comes down to is must a get additional certifications/schooling just to show a video and give some test or am I alright to go ahead and order some DVD's and test of our own.

We don't want to cut corners at all. We are a very serious and legitimate company in our area and we are expanding at an alarming rate. We are just curious if we should be paying someone to be doing something so basic if we could be showing videos and giving test ourselves.

•  08-06-2013, 2:55 PM 4392 in reply to 4339

etrejo is not online. Last active: 08-27-2013, 8:19 AM etrejo

Top 500 Contributor

Joined on 08-03-2013

Posts 3

• Re: Comapny Safety Courses Question

It appears that you already use BLR, just use their Power Point presentations and supporting documentation. OSHA's requirement for trainers is "Knowledgable and competent". Good luck.
  •  08-21-2013, 7:47 PM 4397 in reply to 4339

phanderson is not online. Last active: 03-31-2014, 2:29 PM phanderson

Top 500 Contributor

Joined on 09-30-2008

Utah

Posts 2

Hi, I just read your post, and I want you to know that no, you don't have to have certification.  It sounds like you have way more than me, and you are also probably way more knowledgeable.  I administer the safety program for our building maintenance staff here in the State of Utah, Division of Facilities Construction & Management.  I have used training Powerpoints with quizzes included that we have created, supplemented those with a DVD which we get as a member of the Utah Safety Council, and documented all instances of the training, including refreshers, hands on activities, etc.  It works well, and the activity that makes you compliant is getting the information to the employee, making sure they understand it, and then havng them sign a log or something like that that they attended , and then you documenting the training.

When we have a hands on training a member of our Risk Management division that is knowledgeable conducts the training using the correct equipment, and then the employees get the hands on practice.  

That works well for us, we don't pay a private vendor to come in and do it, except for our First Aid & CPR training.

Hope that helps! 

•  10-17-2013, 1:18 AM 4415 in reply to 4339

charlieelectra is not online. Last active: 10-17-2013, 1:21 AM charlieelectra

Top 500 Contributor

Joined on 09-21-2013

Posts 3

zcalvert:

Howdy,

I am located in West Texas. Most of ya'll know that we are in a pretty good oil boom over here. I am currently a truck inspector for my in-laws small Oilfield transport company. For the last year or two their insurance has required them to have some sort of safety courses taught to the service employees of the company. We have been paying someone from Total Safety in Odessa, TX to do these little classes. They are not certification courses. They seem to be more of a "Let's go over this subject this week." and he reads from a little pamphlet, shows a video, and then gives a test in the back of the pamphlet and is done. Most of the time, they have nothing to do with what we do as a service company i.e. Confined Space, excavation, scaffolding, etc.

Anyways, on to my question.

To do such a simple thing, show a video and give a test, would I have to have any sort of safety certifications myself? I have my OSHA 10, H2S safety, Safeland, AED/CPR, Bloodborne Pathogens, Crane and Rigging, and Forklift Certs.

Pretty much what it comes down to is must a get additional certifications/schooling just to show a video and give some test or am I alright to go ahead and order some DVD's and test of our own.

We don't want to cut corners at all. We are a very serious and legitimate company in our area and we are expanding at an alarming rate. We are just curious if we should be paying someone to be doing something so basic if we could be showing videos and giving test ourselves.

I think certification makes your practice legal. It is another thing that you are giving best service but if there will any mistake First, all are asking for the you certificate. And that time you will not able to explain any thing. 

Buy Electronic Products

Use of this site constitutes your agreement to the terms and condition specified in the Safety.BLR.com Forum Agreement